Requisite minimum abilities for joining percussion section:
1. Snare drum – you must know first 13 rudiments
2. Proper bass drum technique
3. Proper crash cymbal technique
4. Proper suspended cymbal technique
5. Proper tympani tuning and technique
6. Proper triangle technique
7. Ability to play orchestra bells and chimes
8. Proper clave technique
9. Know how to read percussion music and have good rhythm knowledge.
Some of these are very easy to learn, others more difficult. Our percussionist do not give instruction to new members during rehearsals. Learn what you need to know by taking private lessons.
Instrumentalists must be able to play at a grade 3 (advanced High School) level or above to join the band.